Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Hitting the Doldrums!

Has it really been since July that I last posted?!  Holy smokes!  How did that happen?

Winter has set in and we are going to have snow on the ground for some time.  The animals are all tucked in, the chickens are in their insulated coop with a light, heated water and heavy bedding.  The barn cats are cozied into their barn by the heater and the bunnies are alive and well, making daily appearances from deep in their burrow.  I found a heated water bottle but they seem to be eating snow or something because since there has been snow on the ground, they haven't been drinking much.  We also bought coats for the ponies.  They look so adorable in their little pony parkas.  Macintosh's is a bit small so his buns stick out a little, which is pretty cute.

And our dog, oh . . our dog, he's sleeping in the kids room in his dog bed.  He is one of life's little gifts, that dog.  A friend needed a home for him because of a meanie pants neighbor and without even hesitating, I said yes.  It was for a fabulous friend, so it is of course a fabulous dog.  Not to sound like one of those annoying dog people who thinks their dog is the shizzle but . . . he chased a coyote away and stopped at the road, he doesn't bark unless he's trying to tell us about a visitor or intruder, he breaks up cat fights, is glued to the kids, loves chickens (and cats, although the verdict is still out on what the cats think of him) and when I go check the mail, he sits at the end of the driveway and waits while I walk up the road, cross the road and come back.

He's pretty much the best dog in the world.  He came with the name Summit, but maybe Super Summit is more fitting?  Oh gosh, I have already turned into one of those annoying dog people.  I'm only joking about changing his name.

Anyway, if anyone out there is looking for a fantastic farm breed, Great Pyreneese are tip top in my book right now.  Just look at that sweet gentle giant.

We're all trying not to hit the Doldrums here as the sun shines fewer hours, the days are cold and the nights are colder.  Trying to focus on keeping the holidays special and simple and trying not to stress out too much about the fact that I haven't even finished my Christmas cards.  Okay, I haven't started either.  How is it that I seem to think I have enough time every year and then every year, I'm scrambling!  Simple and special . . . my mantra.  And of course appreciate all the great things, like this gift dog, these children, these days at home, this family, you friends and this little house.

No comments:

Post a Comment