Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Elephant in the Orchard

Our trees, our orchard of peach trees aren't doing very well.  By not very well, I mean that out of 1,630 trees, about 645 have no new limbs and very puny leaves.  I've had every farmer I know over to give advice and tell me what to do, but when it comes down to it, the thing about growing, is that its just up to you, the grower.  I've received good advice and hot tips, but our trees still look puny.  I'm grateful for all the knowledgable farmers around but a little downtrodden for making mistakes early on that are going to cost me in the end.

The good news is that 60% of our trees are doing fine.

The sh$tter of this situation is that the dead or dying trees, as much as 40% or as few as 1% (which are completely dead) will have to be replanted in the spring, via shovel.  Which compared to the tree planter method, sucks.

So if you're thinking of visiting our Palisade Peach Ranch sometime next year, I must say that Sprin time in Palisade is LOVELY, especially around April 15-30th and if you do come, please BYOS.  Bring your own shovel.


No comments:

Post a Comment