Monday, March 3, 2014

Home Life

While I prefer Douglas Flourian's poems, after a poetry workshop today with the kids, I thought I'd try my hand at one.  Its rough and could use some editing but no one reads this but me anyway!

Home Life

We work on our manners,
our golden manners.
We make our beds,
hang Valentines banners.

Our work, as we homeschool,
lacks clammer
and glamor.
Not too rife with strife
but thick with cleaning
like a hamster.

Like a hamster in a wheel
we make our beds
brush our teeth
rip tangles from heads.

Our house is untidy
because we LIVE here.
All the day, in and out
shoes on, shoes off
losing socks
watching clocks
breaking every crayon in the box.

But as I watch these precious ones grow
and smile at all the things they know
and say
and do
watching, and listening,
they shine like diamonds, dazzling,
glistening.

I wouldn't miss this for anything.

Not for a million and not for two
because the days are long but the years,
they flew.



No comments:

Post a Comment